[openbeos] Re: BeOS/Haiku UI question

  • From: Waldemar Kornewald <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:17:22 +0100

Mathew Black wrote:

I can only think of few situations within preflets where a defaults button
is necessary, as such I do not see a place for them in preflets in general
personally I much prefer the 'revert' style. I can see how they could be
comforting to the user to know no matter how much they fiddle they can
always reset everything.

Right. Axel, when did you ever need a "Defaults" button? Most settings are either a matter of taste (volume, mouse speed) or user information (time, keymap, email). What use does "Defaults" for volume or mouse speed have? If your mouse is too fast just make it slower. Since every mouse has different speed there is no 100% sensible default. These could need defaults:
* VirtualMemory
* Fonts
* Menu (ALT vs CTRL)
And maybe Keyboard (few use it, so defaults are like getting back to a safe state). Not sure, though.

Now this is heading towards R2 territory but how about a separate preflet
with which you can reset to factory defaults and save, load apply profiles
of settings?

This definitely makes much sense for mobility (networking: work, home, mobile) which includes networking, proxy, firewall, and printer settings, maybe also email (online vs offline mode for different servers) and *maybe* timezone (if you're traveling around very often).
But I don't see a need for having different mouse, keyboard, screen + saver, font, or sound profiles.

Bye,
Waldemar