[openbeos] Re: BeOS5 boot trouble

  • From: "David McPaul" <dmcpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 17:42:25 +1000 EST

Heya,

        Your issue is most like the problem Standard BeOS R5.03 has with
Athlon XP CPU's.

        Athlon XP have implemented SSE but the SSE code in BeOS R5 causes
the reset.

        If your motherboard supports disabling SSE in the BIOS then try
with that for a start.
        If not then you need to find a way to access the BeOS partition so
you can patch some files.

        There is this patcher on BeBits http://www.bebits.com/app/3390

        But it is for the personal edition not the professional edition so
I am not sure if it applies to you.

        The hard part is getting access to the BeOS partition.  I did it
using R4 CD.  You could potentially do it by burning a bootable CD from
the BeOS Max edition http://www.bebits.com/app/3148

> Thats not exactly what I meant, the boot floppy works fine (to start
> with) I was reffering to my processor being an Athlon XP, the boot
process starts from the floppy disk. The little icon in the top right
does its animation for about a minute then the sytem resets.

> I've set up with two harddrives, windows xp on disk0, and 2K on
> disk1, with BeOS5 Personal on disk1. Its more like a crash in the boot
so I was wondering if there was any trouble with compatability. I guess
I should wander over to BeBITs and see if they have any info.

Cheers
David

--
You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could
know how seldom they do.