[openbeos] BeOS port declared obsolete in GCC 4.3

  • From: Raymond Rodgers <obos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:46:07 -0700

Found in the release notes for GCC 4.3 at http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.3/changes.html :

   Support for a number of older systems and recently unmaintained or
   untested target ports of GCC has been declared obsolete in GCC 4.3.
   Unless there is activity to revive them, the next release of GCC
   will have their sources permanently *removed*.

   All GCC ports for the following processor architectures have been
   declared obsolete:

       * National Semiconductor CRX (|crx-*|)
       * Morpho MT (|mt-*|)

   The following aliases for processor architectures have been declared
   obsolete. Users should use the indicated generic target names
   instead, with compile-time options such as |-mcpu| or configure-time
   options such as |--with-cpu| to control the configuration more
   precisely.

       * |strongarm*-*-*|, |ep9312*-*-*|, |xscale*-*-*| (use |arm*-*-*|
         instead).
       * |parisc*-*-*| (use |hppa*-*-*| instead).
       * |m680[012]0-*-*| (use |m68k-*-*| instead).

   All GCC ports for the following operating systems have been declared
   obsolete:

       * BeOS (|*-*-beos*|)
       * ...

I have no idea if this has any particular importance to the Haiku project, but if my understanding is correct, the BeOS port will go away. Will Haiku's native/hosted GCC need to have its changes officially hosted within the GCC project? I don't know personally, but it may be something worth looking into, or possibly taking over the BeOS port...

This was just a quick FYI email.

Later folks,
Raymond