[openbeos] Re: BeOS "knowledge base"

  • From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:31:42 +0100 BST

> I would actually rather turn that around a little.
> If you or anyone has some tutorial or something along those lines
> that you want hosted, send it to me. We are collecting "stuff" for the
new website and any tutorials or anything would be great.

> I also want to put all of the old BeOS newsletters online. Basically,
> the theory is that our website would be a single point of contact for
anyone wanting to develop or use R5/OBOS. As a service to the
community, really.

A very worthy goal Michael.

I feel this is more the realm of beunited.org though - that should be
the single point of contact for all information common to all the OSBOS
projects. The design for the developer portal already includes things
like BeOS API tutorials, and Be newsletter articles.

The OBOS site should contain OBOS-specific things, like an overview of
the source code, the "getting started - what tools are needed"
document, etc, etc.

Beunited are aiming to be the place to hold all development on all OBOS
platforms - therefore the general documentation makes more sense to be
stored there. Even if, in a few years from now, OBOS (or B.E.OS or
whatever) are the only OS still about, beunited will still exist to
host all kinds of development projects for the OS (both closed and open
source) and is the perfect central repository of information for
developers.

Keep your website focused on your project, a few docs about OBOS
specifics, and links to beunited for general developer information.

My 2'peneth worth

Simon