[openbeos] Re: BeOS design flaws

  • From: "Jean-Baptiste Queru" <jb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 12:13:15 -0700

> 768 works... Why not more than a gig?

At least two reasons, possibly more :

-Physical memory is mapped into kernel space. It is mapped between
0x10000000 and 0x60000000, and must share that space with other
ares that can be created inside the kernel (including the framebuffer and
the loader cache, and possibly more).

-vm-related structure grow as the size of physical RAM grows, to the
point where the vm_heap (where those structures are allocated) isn't
big enough, either because the size that was guessed for it was wrong,
or simply because there isn't enough address space to hold it.

I *believe* that 1GB would work with R5.0.3, but I'm sure it won't work
with the BeIA dev platform (I tried) (hence, it probably won't work with
BONE either).

--

Jean-Baptiste Queru <jb@xxxxxxxxx>