[openbeos] Re: BeOS R5, OpenBeOS R1, & missing Demos

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:55:42 +0100 (MET)

En réponse à Timothy Covell <timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Just a quick question.  Several of the demos which were available
> for BeOS up to R4.5 were not included in R5.   In particular, 3dmov
> was missing.   I tried to run the version that came with R4.5 on
> R5.03,
> but it
>
> 1. worked OK on some images
The only problem I noticed is some images aren't scaled to the cube face size,
but just get clipped !?
> 2. showed nothing with most movies
It was coded way before the Media Kit was released, so it does only use it's
own QT parser and so it seems
> 3. crashed when I dropped a QT movie.
What kind ? don't try to put a Sorenson encoded QT5 file on it =)
It should only work with the movs that were with it, or the same kind.

> I know that you all must think that I'm crazy, but I really think that
> the
> demos would be a good indication of how good OpenBeOS is.  So,
> if we want to have all of the good demos, some programmer would have
> to recreate them at some point, especially the ones which do not work
> with R5.
Those that still work we can run them on OBOS, this will be better than create
a 'fake' one which obviously wouldn't be coded the same way, and so would
modify the benchs. Anyway we should be able to make ours runs on R5 too, so...