[openbeos] Re: BeOS Links (aaaagh!)

  • From: "David Shipman" <unlyrn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:26:54 NZST (+1200)

> Is there any site left where you can download BeOS Software. I spend
> three
> on BeBit trying to get some games, and apps and everyone I wanted was
> gone.
> God, that so so sad.

Thats a valid point. BeBits is a great site, and without it, I know a
lot of people
wouldn't have a clue where to start with BeOS; but a lot of the links
are simply
broken; quite often the original author has moved on to other things
and the
software is no longer available.

The basic problem is - BeBits doesn't actually host the files; nor
should they -
the costs in bandwidth alone would be quite prohibitive.

What we need (and I'm not offering solutions here - just ideas), is
something akin
to Aminet - a combined public archive of beos software; I'm sure plenty
of ISPs
and universities would be more than happy to host mirrors (if asked in
the right
way)

David Shipman