[openbeos] Re: BeOS API, C and thread-safe programming

  • From: "Stefano D'Angelo" <zanga.mail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 15:48:06 +0200

2007/5/1, Pier Luigi Fiorini <pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Then, I really would like to know about Haiku's threading model, since
> it is said to be very good and efficient (I don't think using pthreads
> on it is the best option). Can someone give me some points on that?
> (for example I couldn't find references to mutexes on the BeBook...)

BeOS has semaphores, check this: http://www.bebits.com/app/4466/
or here online:
http://www.sffjunkie.co.uk/beos/BeBook/TheKernelKit.html

Thanks. Glad to see a C API. :-)
Anyway, it seems like there's no kernel-level implementation of
spinlocks/read-write locks, right?
In such case is it better to for everyone to write his own, or to use
some standard implementation outside the BeOS API? ... I mean, how a
native BeOS app is supposed to do that?

Stefano