[openbeos] Re: BeIA - PC

  • From: "Donovan Schulteis" <deej575@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:30:41 -0600

Didn't Compaq basically just use BeIA as leverage to get a better deal with
MS on a CE package or something like that?  I seem to remember that they had
no real intention to ship with BeIA on the Clipper.

I often wonder what would have happened if Be could have stayed in business
only maybe a year or so longer so that the eVillas and Qubit's products
could have gotten to market (nevermind all the audio platforms that were
supposed to happen)... but again, it was a market that wasn't matured enough
or ready at that time.

Bummer that I ebayed my tablets and other IA stuff a long time ago when
money was tight... kinda wish I still had them around to experiment with
Haiku on.  ;)

Okay, sorry for the OT rants.  :)

DJ

On 3/26/07, Raymond C. Rodgers <obos@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It always bothered me how Compaq sold us out... :( Hell, there was a
period of weeks that anyone could have gone to their public ftp server
and downloaded a copy of the latest BeIA images because they didn't seem
to think it was important enough to secure it...
<grumble><grumble<grumble>

On the other hand, I really enjoyed working with eVilla, and still wish
I had one... My only complaint with it was that Sony wanted to sell it
with the ethernet disabled and offer the enabling code as an upgrade at
a later time.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Compaq-IA-1-Internet-MiniPC-embedded-BeOS-Opera-Browser_W0QQitemZ250096283940QQcategoryZ132302QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting