[haiku] Re: BeGeistert reports

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 23:44:20 +0000

Hello again list!

I made it to BG this year and had a great time.

http://picasaweb.google.de/markerben/BeGeistert21#5394316382178705490
This sums it all up quite well.

To the person who attended the presentation, most probably. To those who
did not attend, a list like the one on the photo could be interpreted in
so many different ways, that one could only speculate.

The roadmapping discussion was really just that, an open discussion without any particular decisions being made.

"Blockers" for R1 were thought to be the things below the line - Wifi being the most well-defined new feature there. The others are a bit harder to define; but there was a general feeling R1 should work on more hardware, which encompasses the "boot support", "IRQ routing", and "Driver Testing" items. The latter also covered the suggestion of identifying drivers that claim support for hardware which don't actually work, ie blacklisting certain hardware to give a better user experience (no network is better than KDLs).

The 3 items above the line were the main "questions" - which of the locale kit, package manager, and webkit-based browser should be blockers for R1, if any. We ran out of time to discuss those so no real conclusions were reached (during that session anyway). I know a package manager discussion was planned for some point, but not sure if it went ahead or not. Would have been after I left if it did.

Sorry to disappoint you if you were hoping for a well-defined roadmap to have emerged from that session! Even though it didn't it was a good opportunity to talk about the issues.

I don't really want to spark a huge list debate on the 3 "questions", I'm more than happy to leave it to the Dev team to decide, but I do think it's important that we have a decision on these issues in the not-too-distant future. For me personally the browser is an important question as the current firefox 2 branch is a dead-end; I would work on some FF2 bugs if that was to be the browser for R1, but otherwise I would better direct my efforts towards helping Maxime and Ryan on Webkit.

Simon