[openbeos] Re: BeAPI++

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:21:22 +0200 CEST

Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Stefano Ceccherini wrote:
> > What about code reviews ? Fixing bugs ?
>       I won't say this isn't necessary. But I will say that for a new-
> comer, this sucks.

Well, but isn't that how you usually come in touch with an open source
project? You fix a bug that's annoying you, and all of a sudden you're
the maintainer for that thing.
If you want to do any useful work for us, you would have to do
something like code reviews anyway - in order to understand what's
already there.

>       OK, let's say this happens. In time there will be too much people
> doing one task
> and they will start stepping on each other's toes. As that happens,
> with no direct

There cannot be enough people doing code reviews and fixing bugs - it's
hard to step on other's toes with that kind of work, really.
But sure, those people would soon like to do something else and we may
not find something for everyone - hey, that would be a great position
to be in. Having too many people to do the job :)

> leadership and free will at hand, a fork or a leave will happen.

People come in and leave open source projects as they feel like. There
is no reason to stop them doing that. And to start a fork of a project
in development would be a huge undertaking that you don't pull off that
easily. Nor would it make a lot of sense, either (at least I can't see
much sense in this).

>       [Believe me - that's what I'm doing/feeling at work (money is the
> glue holding us
> here - oh yeah, there are a few of us sharing this feeling)]

I think open source projects are fundamentally different to almost any
workplace :)
There is nothing than my free will that keeps me developing for Haiku.
I really want to have what we're about to create.

Bye,
   Axel.