[openbeos] Re: BeAPI++

  • From: Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:10:05 +0300

Axel Dörfler wrote:

Don't you think in the future?
Some things take time. A lot, I might say adding the research. If we wait until we finish R1, we need to do these things by ourself. Or we can recruit some new people to do this for us at that time.

That's the problem: recruiting can be very time intensive. If you spend too much time there, you don't have them to create what we need now. It's good to look into the future, but not too far away: we don't need an XML Kit if we never complete R1.
Also, after R1 is done, nobody expects us to release R2 a month later. We don't lose the time for R2, we have it; what we lose is time for R1.

OK. Partially agreeing with you.

People will join that team because they know something, and in time under some supervision they will became men/women to count on.

And that exactly is a very problematic point IMO, the burn rate is immense.

1 of 20 is good.

No, I don't think so. If this person would start working on Haiku for himself (like, as Stefano said, Oliver and Christian did), there would be no problem at all - that's the people we can use best: they are immediately useful when they join the team.

OK. I think it's better this way.

Usually, it takes a lot of effort (i.e. communication) to talk with interested people - and in the end, I think I did not get much out of these requests so far; I lose mainly time, that's it (I don't want to blame those that really delivered something, even if it's only a tiny bit :-)).
Supervising someone designing a future part of Haiku is a lot more time intensive than talking with interested people - if you supervise the design of a component, you can almost do it yoursel - to be of any use there, you have to be familiar with the topic anyway.

Eh, what the hell am I hurrying at? We are an open source project, we do not have any time constrains.

talk to Marc, see what has stopped him from witting this class.

No, that was BScrollBar. As I later found out, Marc had written BScrollView as well, but it was very basic and didn't work correctly (and it was not part of our repository, which was very annoying).

Yeah, I just spoke with him.

As far as nobody asks for help, what should I/the_community believe?

Why do you think we have these open tasks pages for every team? Just for fun?

You know... I'm having fun when seeing classes that are 50,60,90% ready in the Unassigned column. Oh yeah, BList is at 0%... when in fact I'm using BList since I came into this project. ;-)

app_server: 5 people working. No place left.

Not really true either, regarding that you've recently found Christian (and probably others) to find some spots to optimize.

Hey, he's not developing any part of app_server.

No but he will optimize parts of it. That makes him at least a temporary or losely connected member of your team.

You're right.

Hm, I think I will talk with all team leaders to see exactly what is left to be done for R1.

For what exactly?

I think if intend to get more developers we would need other places to search for.

I'm starting more and more to share your opinion. If there were people wanting to help they'd already be in our team. Well, ATM it looks like we're all this project could gather.

Adi.