[openbeos] Re: Back to the basics.

  • From: Bryan Varner <Bman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 22:14:11 -0500

I don't know about you, but every time I go to my grandmas house, I'm
cleaning up New Folders, and placing system files BACK where they
belong because somehow, they magically got moved!
Granted this could have been my grandpa, but still... the point is, a user
will poke anywhere they can, and often where you least expect them!

-Bryan

>Hmm, beside taking some more work, I don't really see the point in this.
>Your GrandMa won't dig into syslog I think, and people getting into it
>certainly know what they search for.
>Moreover if say the zzz unixish driver outputs "XXX", changing this to "YYY"
>will only make it harder for "not-geek" users to find what is the problem
>searching on the net, since even translated docs mentions english error
>messages.
>I'd say we need first a driver to be able to localize it anyway :P
>
>En réponse à "Bruno G. Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> > Are you nuts ?
>> > Device drivers are not the place for fancy things like localisation,
>> > there's already enough bugs that result in system corruption to avoid
>>
>> > adding
>> > ones =)
>> > Yes windows has everything translated even in the driver, again
>> > that's a reason
>> > to do like Windows.
>> > And even for driver names, maybe there could be a database or
>> > something
>> > (I mean a text file listing the translated names), so the user can
>> > understand
>> > what it's about, but anyway drivers shouldn't interact directly with
>>
>> > users.
>>
>> That's not what I mean. For instance erro messages returned by
drivers

>> that go to a log file or something like that should get localized. Even
>>
>> if for that the driver would have to be recompiled (so there would be
>> no need for runtime localization).
>>
>> -Bruno
>>

>> --
>> Cynic, n.:
>>    One who looks through rose-colored glasses with a jaundiced
>> eye.

In-san-i-ty n., pl. In-san-i-ties. -- Persistant
mental disorder or derangement.
http://bmanv.no-ip.com        -- The looney bin
bman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx     -- The keeper of the bin