[openbeos] Re: BONE for Haiku

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 23:43:16 +0200 CEST

> Shaka <shaka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > anyone have any luck compiling BONE for Haiku?
> > It might be a good temporary solution...
>
> BONE was never published in source form, AFAIK.
> It was a binary release to a closed beta group
> who are bound by a non-disclosure agreement, IIRC.

And to those who bought ZETA, as binary too.

> If anyone has the (leaked?) source of BONE it would be
> a *very* bad idea to mix that with Haiku source, and it's
> unlikely that it would simply work without lots of changes.

Well, some ppl do have the Source, Luke.
But I don't see much use in trying to compile it under Haiku,
as it couldn't be distributed anyway. Though I don't think it
uses many private calls if at all from the kernel, so it could
be doable. AFAIK the code is quite clean and modular.
But I'd rather spend the time writing a new one.

> (The BONE beta included much more than just a few kernel
> modules. Even a new kernel was included, so you probably
> can't just take the BONE modules and drop them into just
> any kernel, and expect it to work.)

The kernel was just a rebuild with a fix in select() AFAIK.

> Until Haiku gets a great *BSD-derived/licensed netstack,
> we've got the old one, (which is "Marrow", by David Reid?),

No, marrow was done afterward. Seems to be quite dead atm.

François.