[openbeos] Re: BONE for Haiku

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 22:17:47 +0200 CEST

Shaka <shaka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> anyone have any luck compiling BONE for Haiku?
> It might be a good temporary solution...

BONE was never published in source form, AFAIK.
It was a binary release to a closed beta group
who are bound by a non-disclosure agreement, IIRC.

If anyone has the (leaked?) source of BONE it would be
a *very* bad idea to mix that with Haiku source, and it's
unlikely that it would simply work without lots of changes.

The Haiku kernel can be, and probably is in some ways,
different from the BeOS kernel, internally. It's unlikely
that Be's BONE modules would do anything meaningful,
apart from maybe crashing your system, if they even load.

(The BONE beta included much more than just a few kernel
modules. Even a new kernel was included, so you probably
can't just take the BONE modules and drop them into just
any kernel, and expect it to work.)

Until Haiku gets a great *BSD-derived/licensed netstack,
we've got the old one, (which is "Marrow", by David Reid?),
which kind of works.

/Jonas Sundström.