[openbeos] Re: BMessenger::fPreferredTarget

  • From: Joey Hewitt <joey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:19:36 -0700

Mathew Schofield wrote:

The simple truth is, that Haiku is unoptimized and slow ATM. Even on real
hardware. :-)

Actually i beg to differ. On my AMD64 3000+ with 1GB of Ram, Haiku
runs surprisingly well (Considiering it's state). Also in VMware haiku
runs quite well. I'm not sure why Qemu is so relatively slow, but i do
know that Qemu itself is proven to be much slower then the commercial
VMware or VirtualPC.

I hope that by maintaining compatibility with BeOS, we can also maintain its great performance on "slow" hardware. I run a 500 MHz Celeron with 96 or so MB RAM. :P I don't run it often, but BeOS is usually snappier than Windows 98 on this (which unfortunately I can't say for Linux.) Although I realize everyone else has evolved out of the Stone Age of computing that I'm still in, I think we should still make the effort to keep Haiku snappy, small, and fast, at least by R1. :)

And we all know that Haiku will one day rule supreme, no matter the hardware (Virtual or not) ^_^.

Yeah!

Thanks,
Joey Hewitt