[openbeos] BE_CHECK_HUMOUR_VALUE

  • From: Helmar Rudolph <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 17:31:24 +0200

Hehe.... this is really funny. Here I am, proposing
something unique that could potentially lead to this
project/organisation having enough cash to pay - even hire -
programmers, thus almost ensuring that once things come to
the crunch, the project/org can pony up no matter what (or
just blow it all on beer and coffee), and before you can
spell "value", it turns into a capitalism vs free software
vs 'the unprivileged and exploited mass' discussion; one
member felt obliged to trash the payment channel I suggested
(for discussion purposes); someone else even unsubscribed from
the list probably because he was low on "let someone else
have his say too" skills; others were just not getting the
point at all.

        if(!BE_TOLERANT)
                {exec_shell(unsubscribe);}

With all the coding talk on this list, I actually liked this
short interlude of divergent human expression. It showed so
much more the human face of someone than a discussion about
pointers, classes or icon sets. It also showed how many
people really got it, and who just needed to chime in to say
something. And even if I didn't like it, I respected and
tolerated it.

Now that we are back to normal, I trust my idea didn't make
it. No hard feelings - I didn't expect anything else, to
be honest. ;)

Helmar (who didn't leave BeUnited because he wanted to go
"commercial" but because those who were supposed to do some
work there were too _unreliable_ - big difference)

--
 "You work seven days a week, under all this pressure, and
 for what? So that people can shop on the Web? Half the

        - Daniel Lyons?s character Reily?s girlfriend Maria in
          'Dog Days' (Simon & Schuster, 1998)