[openbeos] Re: B_NOT_IMPLEMENTED

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 22:46:17 +0100 CET

Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I am not sure if B_NOT_IMPLEMENTED is a good error message, as it
> > would
> > only be useful for beta APIs
> Well, I'm not really expecting it to be returned very often in
> production
> code, but in the course of development, it's oftentimes been useful
> to flag
> that all or part of a function is unimplemented, and having a "return
> B_NOT_IMPLEMENTED;" is a nice and obvious, plus syntactically and
> semantically correct way of doing that.

It's a kind of deficiency that shouldn't be honored with its own error
code IMO :)
I'd like a UNIMPLEMENTED() macro (as Marco did in the Media Kit) and
returning something along the lines of B_ERROR better, but OTOH an
error code more shouldn't hurt as well.

> > - maybe EOPNOTSUPP or ENOTSUP is a better
> > one in this case.
> I would tend to shy away from using Posix errors. We do have
> B_UNSUPPORTED,
> but it doesn't really fit the situation either.

Well, right; I think we should have a B_ error code for every POSIX
error code (we need).

Bye,
   Axel.