[openbeos] Re: B_NOT_IMPLEMENTED

  • From: Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 10:28:48 -0800

On 2003-11-02 at 07:31:26 [-0800], you wrote:
> Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Does anyone object to me adding a B_NOT_IMPLEMENTED to the general
> > errors
> > in Errors.h after B_BAD_DATA? I actually thought we'd agreed to do
> > this
> > earlier, but it doesn't appear to have made it in there. We're sorely
> > lacking B_DONT_DO_THAT, as well... ;-)
>
> B_COMPUTER_ON_FIRE.
> I am not sure if B_NOT_IMPLEMENTED is a good error message, as it would
> only be useful for beta APIs

Well, I'm not really expecting it to be returned very often in production
code, but in the course of development, it's oftentimes been useful to flag
that all or part of a function is unimplemented, and having a "return
B_NOT_IMPLEMENTED;" is a nice and obvious, plus syntactically and
semantically correct way of doing that.

> - maybe EOPNOTSUPP or ENOTSUP is a better
> one in this case.

I would tend to shy away from using Posix errors. We do have B_UNSUPPORTED,
but it doesn't really fit the situation either.

-Tyler