[haiku] Re: Authentification?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:21:04 -0400

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 3:08 AM, Daniel Devine <devine-mlist@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One of the GSOC students was working on i18n but I am not sure how that is
> going. There is a lot of internationalization issues in Haiku, if you go
> through the code you can see that there is language support hardcoded into
> applications...

If you mean the some of the Mail stuff with hardcoded English and
Japanese, yes, there is some hardcoding. Mostly that was just
inherited from the Mail Daemon Replacement (which I guess is also
where authentification came from.) There might be a few other apps
with that too.

Besides that issue another major problem with i18n support in Haiku is
all the hard-coded layouts. Our GUI layout system is fairly new and a
lot of things haven't been converted to use it because the hard-coded
layouts were working fine in those cases. But once you start having
applications use multiple languages you have no choice but to use the
layout system. This isn't a terrible thing but the layout API still
hasn't stood the test of time and isn't set in stone yet.

But we will get there. A lot of great progress was made in the GSoC in
taking care of the i18n problem.

--
Regards,
Ryan