[haiku] Re: Attribution for Haiku website design and theme

  • From: mikesum32 <mikesum32@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 22:04:12 -0400

I think we need to take a step back and try to rewind the original reason
for this thread. This all started when Jorge wanted a credit I also feel
it's important to take this issue on its own, and not let old arguments get
in the way. The first post is very reasonable.

Then comes the first reply from Niels, also very reasonable.

Yes. I support you getting acknowledgment for you work (and the

opportunity to make money from it), but it should be on an appropriate

place, whether it being an about page, a page on the website or in the

FAQ. The footer could then link to that page. I would propose

reforming the current footer to:

> The copyright on this website is reserved by the respective authors.

Haiku and the Haiku logo are trademarks of Haiku Inc.

> The rationale is that whenever you run an app it does not contain an

advertisement for the authors, nor should the website.

then Jorge again

> Well, I am not asking for a popup ad or anything like that, so your
> portrayal is exaggerated and misleading.

> The footer is not only the most typical place for this sort of
> acknowledgment, but the most inconspicuous place too.

I tend to agree with him here, it would be typical and inconspicuous. I tend
to agree more with Jorge that it is unfair to
characterize it as an advertisement. Niels saying the site should not be
promoting one person. Then Jorge saying that a link goes back to the user's
profile every time someone posts anything.

The real trouble starts when Niels reads something on another site and
unilaterally revokes Jorge's Drupal admin permissions. That was not related
to this discussion and not necessary. It wasn't reasonable.

Yes, Jorge has harsh words a lot of the time, but this time it was not his
doing. If someone wanted to argue the points of his other post on another
site, do it there or start another thread here. I don't think Jorge would
ever actively damage other people work, like deleting the website.

That said, for the sake of clarity I would like to speak to the facts of the
whole LinuxWorld/WalterCon debacle since Matt brought it up. Jorge was the
main person organizing this LinuxWorld and doing all the work. No one really
gave a concrete answer about attending, and Jorge was doing all the work and
not getting any support from anyone else. When Jorge cancelled, it was his
work he was undoing. Michael Phipps emailed the LinuxWorld people back and
they pretty much said there was no room for Haiku to be there anyway. The
go-ahead from the LinuxWorld people was last minute and pretty much bound to
fail. I would put most of the blame on lack of interest/promotion and
LinuxWorld itself. Michael Phipps had a lot of issues anyway that were
distracting him from Haiku related business.

WalterCon suffered from a similar lack of interest and a few other snags,
including my short confirmation email to Darkwyrm becoming caught up in the
google spam filter due to its brevity. Jorge had to argue his way to giving
Haiku cds sans trademarks for fear of hurting Haiku's reputation, even
though we were stating that it was pre-alpha to a group that was the most
likely to understand what that means. I think we made the best of a bad
situation and did a better job of it than LinuxWorld, probably due to the
camaraderie of the atmosphere, the stack of fliers, free food, and not being
crammed in to the end of a hallway at the last minute.

I think giving Jorge some credit, be it a link to his profile at the bottom
of the page or among others on an "about" page is not unreasonable and could
go a long way. It's the little things that can turn "detractors" in to
"promoters"

Regards

-mikesum32