[openbeos] Re: Apply for haiku development

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 12:16:20 -0400

naaina wrote:
Hello guys,

I would like to contribute to the development of Haiku. Approx. 2 years ago I had some contact to DarkWyrm to help with the app_server / AppKit, but due to unsafe living conditions I was not able to start. At that time I purchased the book by O'reilly about BeOS developement and now, I finally started to build up a project enviroment
here at home. BTW, which version of BeOSMAX shall I use?

Welcome back! I haven't tried Max4 yet, but I would doubt that it is a regression from 3 which I have used for years. So either of those should be fine. ;-D

I code in C / C++ and x86 ASM since 7 years and have special experience in
graphical development, mostly with 2D algorithms and their optimization. I coded some intros / demos for the art- & demoscene the last years over. I am also experienced in GUI developement / interface design - coded the last years in WinAPI/FLTk and VCL, and finally I started with my own GUI. I work with SVN since the beginning and have a good understanding of compilers and build tools (I also worked with Jam, as you
use it).

You sound like a good candidate! :-)

I'm 24 years old and from the north-west part of Germany and currently I got 12 hours / week to spend on the development. There is nothing specific I want to work on. I guess I have to learn and read some basics first, so I "wish" a task I can easily
start with.

Since we are pretty much code complete in the UI, most of what is left is bug fixes. Our bug tracker is at: bugs.haiku-os.org ; here is the URL for a query of just the app_server bugs:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&group=milestone&component=Servers%2Fapp_server&order=priority

Personally, I would do an svn checkout, do a build, test that build (to make sure that you have a "known good" build - occasionally someone does break the build), then try to fix one of the existing bugs.

Michael

Best regards,
André