[openbeos] Re: Another leak

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 21:14:23 -0500

Additionally, we DO NOT WANT TO SEE THE CODE.
Let me be perfectly clear - if you have possession of that code, please
quit this project.

Not to be a dictator or anything, but if you have that code, there becomes a
potential legal threat in court to this code. For our non-US readers, US law
(where both Be and the majority of us are) says that clean room implementations
are not a problem. But if there was any evidence that we had stolen copies
of that code, our entire source tree could become "fruit from a poison tree" -
Be could claim that we stole the source and used it to reimplement their trade
secrets.
That would be, at the very least a Bad Thing.

If BeUnited can license the code and we can get it under a license we can all
live with,
that is, of course, a horse of another flavor.