[openbeos] Re: Announcing rc, the resource compiler

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:57:27 +0100

> Just to avoid searching and so that things are clear,
> how can i generate .rdef files from .rsrc ?

rc is not only a compiler, but also a decompiler. To turn a .rsrc
file (or any file that has resources, such as an application) into a
.rdef file, you'd do:

rc -d -o myresources.rdef myresources.rsrc

The -d flag tells rc to decompile "myresources.rsrc" and store the
results in "myresources.rdef". You can also use Be's old "deres"
tool, of course, but the results should be similar.

The rc source dir as well as the pre-compiled download contain full
documentation on how to use the compiler and how to write rdef
scripts, by the way.

> Is there someone generating all .rdef files or it is the
> maintainer for each .rdef file ?

Like I said in the announcement:
"Although it is already possible to replace the .rsrc files, it is
not very convenient yet. A future version of the compiler will
make this much easier, so I suggest we wait until then."

The main reason for waiting is that certain resources, such as
app_version and (large) binary things like icons and pictures, are a
little tricky to specify with the current syntax. It is possible,
just not very convenient. However, if this is not a problem for you
(i.e. your resources are reasonably simple), then you can already go
ahead and change them. It is probably best if each "maintainer" do
this himself, because that is obviously the best person to decide on
this. There is no rush, though.

I hope this is clear,
Matthijs