[openbeos] Re: Announcing rc, the resource compiler

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:22:11 CET (+0100)

> > > The source code is checked into the OpenBeOS
> > > CVS repository at: /current/src/tools/rc
> >
> > If you don't mind, I would like to add it to the build.
> > This will be necessary, or at least useful, when people
> > start using it.
>
> That would be great. I only provided a Makefile because my Jam
> knowledge is severly lacking ;-)
>
> > Instead of tampering with the existing rules -- maybe
> > confusing people relying on that behavior -- I would
> > propose to rather rename the input files (`*.l' -> `*.lpp',
> > `*.y' -> `*.ypp' or to `*.lcpp' and `*.ycpp') and add
> > rules for dealing with those.
>
> I'd rather not rename the input files. Is it possible to write
> custom rules for these two files and put these rules only in the
> Jamfile for rc, without having to rename them? Alternatively, is it
> possible to rename the output files, or maybe pass additional
> options (-o) to the Jam lex/yacc targets? (You have to pass -d to
> bison anyway in order to have it generate a header file.) If not, I
> guess renaming is the only option, but then I'd prefer the
> extensions *.ll and *.yy.

I found another way without renaming the input files. It requires to
override the Object rule from Jambase, but is quite convenient to use.

Now a ResComp rule is available, which compiles a .rdef in a .rsrc
file. There will be little reason to use it directly, though, since I
adjusted AddResources to eat .rdef files as well.

CU, Ingo