[openbeos] Announcement: Move To Subversion

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Open BeOS" <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 00:44:14 +0100 CET

I hope this doesn't come too surprising to everyone, but we've decided
to finally leave CVS and SourceForge behind with respect to hosting our
source repository.

Our new repository will be Subversion based and located at http:://
developer.berlios.de, our project side can be accessed via
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/haiku
where you can already find a test repository to play with. As you can
see by following the links, the service is very similar to SourceForge,
it even comes with almost the same front-end.
Hopefully, the switch to BerliOS will also solve the performance
problems we had and have with SF, although that wasn't the reason for
this decision.

Subversion has a great deal of advantages over CVS which will help our
development process considerably. See http://subversion.tigris.org/ for
more information about Subversion.

The official switch date has been set to February 25th, 2005. We will
make a more detailed roadmap available before.

Before the actual switch happens, we will also make Subversion packages
for R5 and Zeta-based systems available (R5 requires an updated SSH as
well), as well as publishing a small introduction on how to use
Subversion on our repository.

Comments, criticism, etc. can be directed to our main mailing list
which
you can reach here: //www.freelists.org/list/openbeos.

Kind Regards,
   Axel Dörfler.