[openbeos] Re: Announce: BeGeistert 009 in Oktober

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:52:24 +0000

On 2002-06-20 at 11:09:48 [+0000], you wrote:
> The ASF has run a couple of very successful Hackathon events prior to our
> conferences. The problem I see when at the conferences is that they tend to
> spill over :) Must mean they're a good idea then :)
indeed!

> Only thing I'll say is that if you get a bunch of the "core" developers all
> sitting in a room together you can achieve a lot of work in a short space of
> time. The downside is that once such a group gets going (and please don't
> anyone be offended by this next bit) they tend to be a little insular and
> unwelcoming of "outsiders". This is why while I applaud your desire to bring
> as many obos folks together you may be creating a potential "them and us" -

good point. Doesn't really answer the question of whether you're thinking of
coming or not!

We've had two very successful coding events which literally ran all day and,
especially, all night but some of those taking part still found time to give
a workshop even if it didn't take place when initially scheduled!
So if you have something prepared for a 30 minute or an hour about networking
in OpenBeOS you would be able to do it in a break or even as part of a team
exercise.

And there wasn't much of a "them and us" feeling as somehow people always
find something to talk about at BeGeistert.

Charlie