[haiku] Re: Ang: Re: gcc4 hibryd

  • From: Julius Bullinger <julius.bullinger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 16:44:04 +0100

2009/3/8 holmqvist.fredrik@xxxxxxxxxxxx <holmqvist.fredrik@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> You can gain a lot from different optimizations, a properly optimized firefox
> is noticably faster.
> I actually started back in the Phoenix days with doing optimized builds, but
> what I was saying was that with the same
> optimizations gcc4 builds of firefox don't get noticable faster compared to
> gcc2 builds. Maybe it uses less cpu, but it
> still suffers from other bottlenecks which is the real problem.
>
> For reference here is what I've landed on when compiling 'optimized builds':
> '-O3 -march=i586 -mtune=i586 -fthread-jumps -fforce-addr
> -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -fexpensive-
> optimizations -falign-functions=4 -falign-jumps=4'

Have a look at
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/firefox-optimized/firefox-optimized/PKGBUILD
and
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/firefox-optimized/firefox-optimized/mozconfig
for one of the most up-to-date and well-tested set of Firefox
buildflags.
This is an unofficial, highly tweaked setup for Firefox 3 on Arch
Linux, which is much faster than any other build on any other
platform. Maybe this will help with our buildflags, too. (Also I doubt
it, because this is a very special config for the rolling release
Linux distro, which always uses the latest software...)

Regards,
-Julius