[openbeos] Alternative GUI window

  • From: "Zenja Solaja" <zenja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 21:46:14 +1100

Hi all.

** caution - hot steam being vented - use caution **

In a delirious moment on a stormy night (after plenty of Vodka), I came up
with this weird window GUI:

http://members.optushome.com.au/zenja/OBOS_gui_01.jpg

The general idea was to reduce the amount of screen real-estate taken by the
title bar, close/resize buttons, menu bar and tool bar.  These 3 bars can
take up to 10% of window space, so when you've got 4 open windows you've
already lost 40% of your screen for static GUI elements.  The idea was to
combine these 3 layers into one, which would then be accessable after right
clicking the yellow corner tab.  Another approach is to move these elements
to the Deskbar (aka Apple menu).  Just imagine that the toolbar is
dynamically displayed above the popup menubar (closer to the document).  All
menus are in the direction bottom-top (opposite to the window/mac world) and
expand to the right.

This approach allows you to enjoy the most screen real-estate without
cripling functionality.

Comments would be appretiated.  Perhaps I should stick with the Vodka ;-)

Zenja