[haiku] Re: Alpha 1 RC downloads on Haiku Files

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 13:31:31 -0700

Howdy,

Urias McCullough wrote:
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Jorge G. Mare<koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As an expectation management measure, and to avoid people making wrong
assumptions with regards to the nature and purpose of these candidate
images, may I suggest that a bold "For Testing Purposes Only" disclaimer be
added somewhere in the front and download pages where it cannot be missed?

A lot of people visiting us for the first time are landing at this page:

http://haiku-files.org/releases/R1Alpha1/

Which makes it extremely difficult to understand what's going on :)

To be honest, I really don't know whether there was a real need to make public the availability of the alpha 1 release candidates; from the POV of managing expectations (which the project has always been very sensitive about), I think it was a bad move. That being said, if you had to publish it for whatever reason, I then can't help but wonder why this was not posted on the website instead. As mentioned multiple times, Haiku Files is just an archive, not a place to post news.

<rant>Unnecessarily splitting our sources of information across multiple sites only generates the potential for duplication, inconsistencies and confusion. IMO, we should put a bit more thought into what information we make available, for what purpose and where.</rant>

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki