[haiku] Re: Alpha 1 RC downloads on Haiku Files

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:33:12 -0700

Hi Alexander,

Alexandre Deckner wrote:
"Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Could be. Maybe it's just me, but what I envisioned on the front page was something more concise (as in, much less verbose), perhaps along the lines of:

<h3>R1Alpha1 Candidate Builds -- For Testing Only</h3>

- Download > http://haiku-files.org/releases/R1Alpha1/
- Report bugs > http://dev.haiku-os.org/#Reportingbugs

I would also add the FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY blurb as well as the link to Trac on the download page too.

Hi, (disclaimer: just comming back from vacations so sorry if i miss something obvious)

I must admit that "release 1 alpha candidate" sounds a bit far fetched in anycase, and "FOR TESTING PURPOSE" is a normal thing for an alpha, ie: not really frightening :). Maybe that download should just be called/replace nightly builds (not mentioning 'alpha' in the name).. Not a big deal, but i can understand that's getting complicated for journalists!

I am OK with any naming that the devs think is appropriate for the occasion: alpha 1 candidate, alpha 1 branch builds, whatever really. :)

I also understand the value of the R1a1 branch nightly builds in the context of improving the final Alpha 1 release; no question about that, as pointed out by Matt. :)

I do question, though, whether there was the need to make the availability of these builds known so prominently, and not taking provisions to avoid them being misconstrued as the actual release (something that is very common once the cat is out of the bag).

The brief but to the point text that I proposed in my previous email and that you quote is meant to address just that. Anyway, this is meant to be constructive; if people here prefer to take what I say as an offense or simply choose to ignore it, then so be it. :)

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki