[openbeos] Re: Add-ons/Module problems/ideas??

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 05:26:13 +0200 (MEST)

En réponse à Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> >Isaac Yonemoto wrote:
> >
> >> Is it possible to have a kernel that can reboot itself?
> >> I think I posted this on the suggestions list, but I
> >> didn't get much of a response.
> >
> >> On bootup (if say, spacebar is pressed), then it boots up normally,
> >> clearing out all of the previously recorded information.
> >
> >On a remotely related note, in GEOS you could shut down the
> >system at any time. It would then reboot the next with WITH
> >your applications open AND the documents you were working on!
> >And as the GEOS "auto-save" default is set to 1min, even in
> >case of a complete system crash you would lose less than
> >1min's work. This is something I'd like to see on BeOS too,
> >because if it's aimed at the desktop, it has to be
> >newbie-proof, so even if they just shut down the system the
> >hard way, it should restart just where they left/shut-it off.
>
> The first thing that comes to my mind is that this is something of an
> apples to
> oranges comparison. :-) Memory was a lot smaller back then (64k on the
> C64 where Geos came from). And while, yes, disks were smaller and
> slower,
> memory usage has risen by many orders of magnitude, while disk speed
> only by
> 1 or a few (depends on if you compare floppies to hard drives or
> hd<-->hd).
>
> Writing out every page in use every minute could hurt a lot. Because
> they have to be
> synchronized. You can't write out pages in parts, or your work will be
> fragmented and
> probably crash. Assuming an average disk speed of 20 megabytes/second,
> no seeking,
> basically best possible results, that is still 6.4 seconds to write out
> 128mb of ram.
> Oh, and btw, because of the paging issue, either the whole OS would have
> to pause, or
> the VM would have to become *VASTLY* more complex (i.e. pausing write
> requests to
> pages until the previous version was written to disk). I don't know how
> many people would be
> willing to have their machine "paused" 1/10 of the time. And yes, I know
> that you might not
> have to write out 128mb - some users will have less. But some users will
> have more. I chose
> an average.
>
> Now. Having said that, I think that a special shutdown that says "on
> reboot, I want to start
> up *RIGHT* where I am" is a cool thing. Maybe not the average thing. But
> great for some users.
> I remember the Amiga days, where if something was hosed, you just
> flipped the machine
> off, then on for a clean slate. OTOH, I can't shut my home machine down
> without losing the
> 30 windows that I have open. It would be nice if everything just came
> back. So I could
> see this as a shutdown option.

> [...]

Btw, on my oldish ORIC Atmos, if a proggy went bad, I could just push the
"reset" button (in fact just a NMI), and it would give control back *without
loosing the program loaded* that saved the time to load it again from cassette
(geez, 10 minutes saved :))

And yes, x86 cpus *can* be reset without loosing the mem, that's what 286 DOS
extenders did to return to real mode because intel thought protected mode was
so nice nobody would ever want to get out of it =)))

François.