[openbeos] Re: Add-ons/Module problems/ideas??

  • From: Isaac Yonemoto <ityonemo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 16:27:43 -0500 (CDT)

> > It is different having an option to do that and making
> > that automatic. What Helmar sugested was that all apps
> > the user had opened when the computer shutdown would be
> > reopened when it restarted.

I'm sorry, we seemed to have deviated from what I was suggesting:

I suggested that apps get "dehydrated" at the kernel-land level (and
not the userland level).  This means that there is no message-passing, or
app-server involved (in fact, app_server, itself, would be dehydrated in
the process).

As to malicious apps:

1.  They would have to be running already.
2.  BeOS is excellent at killing unresponsive apps already.
3.  There's no "startup" message/app loading.  It gets immediately put
back to where it was.  As far as the app knows, it just suffered a time
lapse.  This might interfere with media apps that use strict time codes,
so perhaps a "you've just entered a timewarp" message needs to be passed
systemwide.

As to the idea of rebootless kernel upgrades:

The entire state of the kernel need not be saved, in fact only certain
critical information (you can't bootstrap from nothing, anyway, so there
must at least be some rudimentary kernel functions active, like FS, for
example).  Whatever future versions of the kernel naturally need to be
able to understand whatever stored data there is, but there's nothing
stopping the data format from being augmented or changed a little.

Isaac