[openbeos] Re: About Screen pref

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:43:40 +0200

Fredrik Modéen wrote (2007-07-13, 10:44:00 [+0200]):
> I have my own suggestion aswell :)
> one screen one workspace. Screen 1 shows worspace 1 and screen 2 shows
> workspace 2. don't know if this will add anything other than it would be
> cool.

Fredrik, this subject was already discussed a few times, and the conclusion
was that a workspace is a "screen configuration". Meaning one workspace
controls all attached monitors. A workspace is one configuration of those
monitors, plus it holds associated windows. Please think about it, or dig
up old mail archives if you feel like that, but this setup is really the
closest to the original idea of what a workspace is in BeOS.

> Another thing would be what Rudolf was woring on. Support for more than
> one grafic card.

That would need to be handled transparently for the user. It's a lot of
work to do it right.

> By the way how do every body develop changes in the app_server? How do
> they test there changes?

Maybe it wouldn't be a great help for your screen related testing, but we
have the "app_server test environment" for that. Bascially, you run the
Haiku app_server in a BeOS window, the BeOS window provides both the
"graphics card" and the input_server for the Haiku app_server. To try it,
you can go to the folder

src/tests/servers/app/playground

run

TARGET_PLATFORM=libbe_test jam -q install-test-apps

and then you can use the "run" script in that folder to launch all related
apps at once. The jam line will have produced a few more targets in the
folder

generated/tests/libbe_test/x86/apps

You can launch them by double clicking them in R5, they will open inside
the Haiku app_server. The Screen preflet is already a target for the test
environment, and you can even use it to resize the BeOS window in which the
app_server runs. Maybe you can even change the fake graphics card
(src/servers/app/drawing/ViewHWInterface.*) to support the dual head
protocoll with the Screen preflet and multiple screens... :-)

Have fun... :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan

P.S. I have not tried building the test environment in a while or in ZETA.