[openbeos] Re: AW: Re: status update.

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:57:45 -0500

"Status" is a tough nut to crack. Let me talk about it for a minute.

Status depends, first of all, on who is asking. If you are an even somewhat
technical user and have a little time on your hands, subscribe to the CVS
digest. You get a couple of emails a day (one for every 10 checkins or so)
telling you who has changed what.

It is the non-technical person that is more difficult to help out. Matthijs
status with the Midi kit is very similar to most of the kits. I know that the
kernel is like that. Some pieces have seen a lot of work. Others are pretty
much untouched. Others yet have people working on them who don't check into
CVS. This has happened a number of times. It will seem like something just
sits ans sits and then Boom we have code.

The "three bar" nature of our website has too little granularity for frequent
watchers of the project. It is designed for people who pop in for the first
time. Imagine, if you will, someone driving from Portugal to Vietnam. They
only call in to report their status three times. It is fine for a "project at
a glance", but it doesn't show real progress for people who look in once a
week.

OTOH, coders hate doing status reports. :-) And I try not to ask them too
much. I did write up a complete status report for Newsletter 49. Looking it
over, nothing is *radically* different. The networking kit has made some
progress, a new round of BFS bugs have been fixed and it is far more stable
than before. Media Kit is getting more codecs and is "close" to ready for
another release. I have a final list of modifications into Kurtis for the
website. The paperwork has been into the IRS now for a while and I have
recieved an acknowledgment that it is there. The Translation Kit beta has
gone well - few bugs reported and most if not all are fixed.

There is another newsletter coming soon.

I have more free time on my hands than I used to, so I am contributing more,
too. The new website will be in place shortly after we get our IRS
confirmation. It is very nice and well worth the wait. :-)

Michael