[openbeos] Re: AW: Re: distropia

  • From: Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 13:32:32 +0200

OK,

        Here's what I think/know:
        People who did want to work on Haiku did contacted us and *did* helped
us.
Men like Phatz which wrote the low level communication API between libbe.so and
app_server, like Stephan Assmus which took the daunting task of writing Painter
class which app_server will use for lower level (on screen) drawing, like Oliver
Tape which provided us with a very good GNU Complier Collection.
        You see... IF anyone wants to help, he can.

        Now, you are a bit right, we should give tasks for anyone willing to
work.  As no team leader seems to ask, I'm inclined to think they don't
need help, they only need time!
        There aren't as many areas to work in, or at least I don't see them.
Maybe we should send this working force elsewhere (I'm sure Michael won't agree
this one) like in the area of creating *Very nice* applications for Haiku/BeOS.
I for example, would like a graphical localcopy/CVS browser with the ability
to see tree-like information on files with comments, with a graphical diff
between
versions, but I don't have the time for such a thing. Also a Personal
Information
Manager would be great. A TotalCommander-like program. A software update
program.
etc.

        There are ways to help Haiku, it is not necessary to get involved with
core elements development.

bye, Adi.

Chira, Valentin wrote:
Hi, what I don't get is, why such a big discussion when the R1 is so far
away..or is it not? If one can already build something useful from Haiku CVS
why not create a distro team? There are many peoples that could give a hand
there... The biggest problem of haiku is not the distros right now..the
problem is that a lot of people would help the project but don't know
how..nobody knows really what's the status of the whole project , no one can
figure out if R1 will come this year or in 5 years. I think it would be
great if you could make a distro team or haiku build team or whatever..this
team should create ISOs that one can run test and send feedback. the lack of
infos from Haiku project is killin the community. Same is true for the java
virtual machine project..they don't want more developers but we wait since 2
years already with no result. peoples will not wait longer..they will go to
alternate projects that are farther down the release line..like
www.skyos.org or syllable. If you want to implement a 10 users OS than you
are welcomed. I understand the work that you do but without no results after
4-5 years you will end up having no more users that believe in Haiku cause.

regards, Valentin

From: "Adi Oanca"

but I REALLY *DON'T* want others to just take our 4-5
years effort, sell it, improve and then make lots of money out of it while pushing Haiku-OS.org in the back scene.

Usually, competition is a good thing (although it may take a while for the market to sort itself out).

Haiku, Inc., just has to decide whether it wants to be a player or
not. I
think it should.

-Matthijs

building on top of Matthijs's text,

IMVHO, the best way to reduce the amount of distros is to provide the best possible base. people will only try to re-invent the wheel if they think they can do it better. Ideally, only nut-balls and geniuses should want to do this :-)

who knows maybe some of the distro-makers will be able to give back to Haiku Inc or the community. ( goods, services, increasing our userbase, additional news headlines, etc. )

Having 1 and only 1 distro breeds consistency at the expense of creativity, experimentation, and general radical thought. Multiple distro's
allows specialization and creative+artistic freedom. ... only time will tell if someone makes something magnificent ouf of a distro.

in short, discourage distrobution creation by doing our best to provide a complete and thorough OS.
however, do not restrict willing people to do what they want with it.

There will always be the official Haiku-OS version; distros will come and go.

mmadia
Save your PC. Plant a Haiku Tree.
http://haiku-os.org