[openbeos] Re: AW: Re: Asus Eee-PC

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:17:00 -0500

On Nov 14, 2007 3:54 PM, Niklas Nisbeth <noisetonepause@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There's work as in function, and then there's work as in be usable...
> I'm quite sure an LC III will be an order of magnitude slower than a
> 75 MHz Pentium, and there's really no way that it will ever be a
> usable computer for Haiku with a full GUI - it maxes out at 36MB RAM!

I don't know, it could be interesting to see how fast we could get
Haiku running on such a system. Certainly it might have to be stripped
down, but that might be a nice precursor to a Mobile Haiku (I know
that is not our market at all, but hey look at Apple with the iPhone
and their "Mini OS X.")

Either way these kind of systems (or even just 8 year old x86 PCs) are
good test beds to keep Haiku efficient. I don't think any of us want
the Vista experience on Haiku. The less resources the OS uses, the
more there are for truly stressful applications like video editors.

> - but IMO one of the main advantages of open source software is that
> it lets silly people do silly things! (how's that PPC port coming,
> though?! :))

Yeah people can do whatever they choose with their free time, and
sometimes the oddest things turn out to be pretty useful.

Ryan