[openbeos] Re: AW: Re: Asus Eee-PC

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:48:57 +0100 CET

> On Nov 14, 2007 10:50 AM, Erik <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > LC-III has a 25Mhz CPU, will Haiku work on that?
>
> Not sure why CPU speed should prevent Haiku from running - just
> slower
> right? I have booted haiku on a Pentium 75mhz to a safe-mode terminal
> (due to low RAM)
>
> My guess is that François is mostly interested in getting the kernel
> booted in terminal mode before he worries about performance of a
> fully
> GUI desktop OS...

Yes it's really for l33tness, I don't expect to have anything daily
usable.
Still with some features disabled to limit mem usage it could possibly
be demoable.
Due to SMP being quasi non-existent (even netBSD doesn't support SMP on
68k) we can use shortcuts (nop spinlocks)
It's still a good test case for post-R1 performance optimizations :))

Also, there were some accelerator cards for those beasts, like the CT60
for Falcon (060 @100MHz).
Plus on a Falcon the DSP should be able to replace the system mixer,
and possibly an mp3 decoder node (there are DSP mp3 players on MiNT).

François.