[haiku] AW: Re: AW: Re: Sandy Bridge Support

  • From: "Ronny Wisor" <RonnyWisor@xxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 00:47:03 +0200

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Ronny Wisor <RonnyWisor@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I tried it on a Thinkpad L520 and it did´nt work. Just an empty black
> screen with no boot symbols. :/

Well that could be due to many issues. I'm sure the CPU and memory will work
fine with Haiku, the main issue would be the motherboard ACPI interface, the
hard drive controller and video. As far as I can tell most L520 models just
use the built-in Intel Extreme HD video.
Haiku does not yet support that with a native driver, though I think it
should at least work in VESA mode.

Once I get my new hardware set up I may start my Haiku video-driver writing
career by writing a driver for the Extreme HD, since Intel has pretty
extensive PDF documentation for it on http://intellinuxgraphics.org.
Apparently it is different enough from the normal Intel Extreme that it
needs a new driver (similar to Radeon and Radeon HD.)

Can you get to the boot menu screen by pressing space before the boot
loader? If you turn on the screen debug output you should have a better idea
of where things fail.

Otherwise I'll probably be trying to boot Haiku on my new hardware within
the next week. Of course getting a desktop machine booting may be easier
than a laptop. In the worse case I can add a supported video card and turn
off the embedded Extreme HD.

--
Regards,
Ryan

        My L520 uses the built-in Intel Extreme HD videocard.
        The notebook boots from CD and I can´t see the bootscreen. So
pressing space didn´t work or   my fingers are to slow ;).