[openbeos] AW: Re: 3ivx tester

  • From: "Ronny Wisor" <RonnyWisor@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 17:20:39 +0100

Hi nearly all desktop CPUs manufactured the last 4 years support MMX, SSE,
SSE2, SSE3.

A Core 2 Quad CPU supports all instruction sets.

"Kentsfield" (65 nm)

All models support:
MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4, Intel 64, EIST, XD-Bit, IVT

> Would anyone like to do some testing of the 3ivx encoder/decoder for
> BeOS.  (See www.3ivx.com)
> I am particularly interested in anyone who has a CPU that can run
> SSE2
> or greater instructions.

Though I'm a little busy at the moment, I'd be interested in doing some
tests, on the encoding side in particular (I've never really had much
luck encoding MPEG4 video + in-sync sound under BeOS).

This CPU should support SSE2 -- it's a fairly recent Core 2 Quad.
Is it okay to use these instructions under BeOS though? (in terms of
whether the kernel saves/restores the necessary registers...)

- Cyan