[openbeos] ANN: rc 1.1

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:04:37 +0100

Hi all,

Here is an early Xmas present: version 1.1 of the resource compiler (rc).

The resource compiler is used by developers to create "resource" files --
which contain various data for their programs -- from a text-based format
called .rdef. The big advantage of using rc is that rdef files are very easy
to change. Away with those nasty binary .rsrc files!

There are no big surprises in version 1.1, but I did add a number of small
improvements that make life a little easier. The biggest improvement is that
you can now do this:

    resource app_flags B_SINGLE_LAUNCH | B_BACKGROUND_APP

...instead of the much less readable:

    resource app_flags 0x00000004

Something similar is now possible for the 'variety' field of 'app_version'.
Check out the rc manual for more details.

For your convenience, I have updated the various rdef files from our
repository accordingly. Your builds shouldn't break -- yeah, I tested
them -- but if this new version of rc somehow gives you trouble, let me
know.

You can simply update your copy of the OpenBeOS CVS to get the latest
version of rc. The resource compiler is located in /current/src/tools/rc.
Jam should automatically build the new version when and where needed.

You don't just have to use rc with OpenBeOS, you can also use it to develop
your own BeOS / Zeta applications. You can download it here (86kb):
http://www.openbeos.org/samples/rc-1_1.zip

Cheers!
-Matthijs