[openbeos] Re: A very interesting 3D desktop prototype...

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 9:02:25 +0000

I agree, that's always the problem I have with all vista/OSX effects with "3D"
positioning of windows and suchlike. Not only is the display 2D, also the mouse
is a 2D pointing device - so it seems foolish to attempt to add another
dimension into things when we don't have the tools to either display or control
it...

I suppose "constant perceived progress" is necessary in a commercial OS world,
even if it doesn't actually improve the user experience.

Simon

> From: "Mathew Schofield" <mr.skoe@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2006/06/23 Fri AM 08:55:24 GMT
> To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [openbeos] Re: A very interesting 3D desktop prototype...
>
> On 6/23/06, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I often find myself trying to organize stuff in real life in separate
> > folders and boxes... But I still have piles everywhere, it's the
> > natural "least resistance path" of (un)organization. That doesn't mean
> > we should allow such inefficiency to exist in a virtual world :)
>
> Another thing people seem to forget is that the "Virtual" world is 2D
> - not 3D. When we have 3D Screens, then fair enough, but until then
> shouldn't the virtual desktop stay just that? A 2D desk area to
> temporarily store files and objects, and an area to create shortcuts
> to other areas?
>
> Well, that's just my theory i guess :).
>
> --
> Thank You