[openbeos] Re: A very interesting 3D desktop prototype...

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:21:18 +0200 CEST

> > A friend sent this to me and I found it very interesting:
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ
> >
> > Obviously this is not something Haiku would even consider until R2,
> > but I have to admit it seems pretty slick and intuitive.
> I saw the video, and it makes a *great* demo.
>
> IMO, though, that's all it can be is a really cool demo, because of
> how
> much it duplicates a metaphor. Metaphors (like the desktop) are a way
> to relate the familiar to someone unfamiliar quickly. They are good
> so
> long as they are useful, but at some point, they break down. While it
> does give the user choice in how to organize files, it still forces
> the
> user to do it somehow. Not only that, some of the features that
> they've
> implemented (like different ways of stacking items in the pile) are
> implementations of what would be a Real Life hack. I'm not personally
> person to organize by piles, but, unless I miss my guess, it would be
> for keeping certain items of a group within that group while also
> making it stand out by another means. There are better ways of doing
> this.

Yes, like folders :)

I often find myself trying to organize stuff in real life in separate
folders and boxes... But I still have piles everywhere, it's the
natural "least resistance path" of (un)organization. That doesn't mean
we should allow such inefficiency to exist in a virtual world :)

François.