[openbeos] Re: A though

  • From: "Ben Allen" <ben.allen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:23:36 -0500

On 10/30/07, viktor muntzing <viktor.muntzing@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been watching the development of haiku for a while now and have a
> suggestion
>
> (snip)
>
> Does this sound terrible? If it does, I wont elaborate more on this.
> If there is some interrest, I would love to try to contribute with docs etc.
>
> Best regards
>
> Viktor

All of the points that you mentioned have been discussed with regards
to Haiku, but AFAIK it hasn't been completely spelled out in a formal
document.  The first release of Haiku is aimed to be a clone of BeOS
R5, and having that clear goal in mind provides many of the answers
that one would receive after going through a formal software
engineering process without having to wade through the entire process
(one big reason why the formal side of things was never done).  Formal
software engineering processes can be useful and powerful for projects
where the end results need to be formally defined, but do not quite
fit projects like Haiku where the bulk of the work is the recreation
of a previous work.  Especially when you throw in things like a
deadline of "when it's complete", formal software engineering
processes can involve a lot of work while yielding results that were
already known.

That being said, if you enjoy that sort of thing, you can browse
through the mailing list archives for discussions on many of the
points you mentioned and create such documents, UML charts, etc.  They
wouldn't be a bad thing to have, just not an effective use of our key
developers' time at the moment.

-Ben