[openbeos] Re: A new BMessage implementation (Message4)

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 09:31:32 +0100 CET

Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, most parts of the system will receive messages which involves a
> Flatten/Unflatten. So reducing Flatten/Unflatten overhead was one of
> the
> main goals of this implementation. For looking at the message with
> BMessage methods should not be more complex due to the new format. It
> still involves doing a hash on the name, looking through the hash
> table,
> finding the offset into the message data and then reading from there.
> The only difference is that "finding the offset" is done by actually
> calculating the offset and not using pointers to it. This shouldn't
> be a
> problem for day to day use at all.

Couldn't you use offsets into the table instead of indices? You could
reserve an offset table at the beginning of a field chunk - when the
table is full, you add another offset table and link it
from the first table.
Anyway, as long as we keep the R5 format on-disk, I would welcome this
Message4 implementation :-)

Bye,
   Axel.