[openbeos] A bit of prep talk

  • From: Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenBeOS <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:30:47 +1000

I've just read through todays IRC log, and I'm greatly impressed with the
dedication core people have.  Way to go!!!!!

Anyway, a few weeks back I attended an work related motivational course
(compulsory), and there are a few pointers which I'd like to share - to prep
up (rev up) and motivate the troops.

1). 5 frogs sitting on a log.  One decides to get off.  How many frogs
remaining?  Think about this for a second and then continue.  <pause here>
The answer is still five.  Just because one frog decided to leave, doesn't
mean that he actually took action and jumped off.  The OpenBeOS project is
showing signs that indeed we wish to take action.  Lists are being formed,
people are examining NewOS/AtheOS/BeOS and teams are forming up.  Thats
great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We're not loosing focus, and I'm glad to see that we're
agreeing that most of our attention is on the 2 major components (kernel and
app_kit/interface kit).

2) There is a silly motivational book called "Who moved my cheese" (I cannot
believe that I'm quoting this) which basically says that there are 2 types
of people in the world - those that bitch and moan (it is impossible) and
those that roll their sleeves up and start working.  10 years ago a Finnish
student said he'd start rewriting Unix and was told that its impossible
(what, you want to create something men in white coats spend decades
developing for hot shot companies like Sun, IBM etc).  Today IBM want to
ditch AIX and only use Linux.  Everything is possible, and we should not
argue with the nay-sayers.  Its in their nature to bitch and moan, and its
pointless to waste our efforts trying to convince them.  Instead, we should
roll up our sleeves and schedule regular **press conferences** where we tell
the world (and whats left of the BeOS community) about our intentions and
progress.  Monthly press conferences, so to speak.  We need a web page to
advertise our work, and always remeber - you catch more flies with honey
(not shit).  Keep on talking about how wonderful our project is, how
revolutionary it is (hey, just like BeInc used to do in the pre IPO days)
and people will flock to us becuase they enjoy being in a positive
community.  Remember, we are emotional animals and noone wants to feel
miserable.

Conclusion.
1) So, who is up to the task of organising a web presense.  Lets see if we
can purchase www.openbeos.org.
2) We must advertise our efforts.  Not by spending money, but by hyping our
work.  Regular news updates so that everyone knows whats going on.  Hype,
hype, and more hype. We need to get people excited about OpenBeOS, and if we
hype it well, we might even get the mainstream press on us
(Slashdot/ArsTechnica/TheRegister etc).  Press means attention, attention
means support.  We'll increase the developer base faster if they see our
work as promising, and something that they might want to get involved in
while its still non-mainstream.  Remember, most of the Linux crowd always
bitched about the closed source nature of BeOS, and some might be inspired
to join us.

Finally, 2 quotes I found from Microsoft made in the late 70's/early 80's/
"Our biggest flaw is that we overestimate our competition."
"We should stop thinking that our competitors will release their products on
time and with the feature list they promised.  They wont"
My translation - people out there are no smarter than what we are.  If we're
dedicated, we can do what we set out to achieve.

Hmm, rereading all this makes me dizzy.  Im an engineer, not a business
analyst.

----------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This email is intended only to be read or used by the addressee.
The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference
with, distribution, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised
and prohibited. Confidentiality attached to this communication is not waived
or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery to you.

If you have received this message in error, please delete it and notify us
by return e-mail or telephone Aristocrat Technologies Australia Pty Limited
on +61 2 9413 6300.