[haiku] Re: 3d, blender and the engine 3d status?

  • From: Roland Plüss <roland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 13:18:29 +0100

Alan Burkes wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Roland Plüss <roland@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Blender relies on OpenGL acceleration stuff if I'm correctly in the
>> knows. But OGLAccel is not working on Haiku the last time I checked. I
>> can't think of that one running without the proper accel in place. Or
>> did whoever build blender patch stuff out of it?
>>

> OpenGL is a system-independent rendering system, versus Microsoft's
> Direct3D, which is only a hardware interface. The idea is that you can
> render OpenGL on virtually any platform, with or without extra
> hardware acceleration. Which is one of the reasons why Direct3D
> software rendering software is so rare.

This is correct but it depends on which OpenGL standard MESA does
support. As far as I know Blender ( the current version at last ) uses
GLSL and VBO ( not sure if FBO, I think though ) as well as the
problematic ( and broken ) OpenGL Picking support. Which Blender version
has been tested? Which OpenGL version does the MESA implementation on
Haiku expose?

--
Yours sincerely
Plüss Roland