[haiku] Re: 3d, blender and the engine 3d status?

  • From: Alan Burkes <firstakir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 17:30:12 -0800

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Roland Plüss <roland@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Blender relies on OpenGL acceleration stuff if I'm correctly in the
> knows. But OGLAccel is not working on Haiku the last time I checked. I
> can't think of that one running without the proper accel in place. Or
> did whoever build blender patch stuff out of it?

OpenGL is a system-independent rendering system, versus Microsoft's
Direct3D, which is only a hardware interface. The idea is that you can
render OpenGL on virtually any platform, with or without extra
hardware acceleration. Which is one of the reasons why Direct3D
software rendering software is so rare.