[haiku] Re: 31 hours uptime, before USB failure

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 13:16:09 -0700

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Caitlin Shaw <rogueeve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Well, Haiku survived 31 hours with several apps running, compiling,
>> multiple terminals, many open tabs in Firefox, sleeps, hybernations, time
>> changes (the vM is not synced with the host after sleeps),
>> connections/disconnections of a USB key, etc.
>>
>> I had to reboot it today when it failed to recognize the fs on the USB
>> stick. Connecting and disconnecting didn't help, both physically and via the
>> VMWare's menu. After rebooting, it was working again.
>>
>> Here a screenshot of the error and the About box:
>>
>> http://www.biffuz.it/tmp/screenshot1.png
>>
>> I am really happy (and surprised) of such a long uptime under these
>> conditions :-)
>>

> Haiku is actually quite stable for a first alpha. I run it on the raw
> hardware, and routinely get 2-3 days of uptime out of it before I either
> reboot to do something in Windows, or it goes down with a KDL. Not comparing
> numbers or anything, just saying that it's not  necessarily as fragile as
> all the "this is an alpha" warnings would like to caution you. Of course,
> you should still be careful and make lots of backups. But it is nonetheless
> quite usable today.

Rene gave me a pic of his Haiku test box (which he uses for
development also) after 20 days uptime:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/umccullough/3270279452/in/set-72157615324866653/

But I think Scott Mc has gotten > 1 month uptimes on VMs, etc.

Usually, for me, I end up rebooting after a week or two just to get a
newer version :D

- Urias