[haiku] Re: 31 hours uptime, before USB failure

  • From: Caitlin Shaw <rogueeve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 12:03:44 -0700

Well, Haiku survived 31 hours with several apps running, compiling, multiple terminals, many open tabs in Firefox, sleeps, hybernations, time changes (the vM is not synced with the host after sleeps), connections/disconnections of a USB key, etc.

I had to reboot it today when it failed to recognize the fs on the USB stick. Connecting and disconnecting didn't help, both physically and via the VMWare's menu. After rebooting, it was working again.

Here a screenshot of the error and the About box:

http://www.biffuz.it/tmp/screenshot1.png

I am really happy (and surprised) of such a long uptime under these conditions :-)

Haiku is actually quite stable for a first alpha. I run it on the raw hardware, and routinely get 2-3 days of uptime out of it before I either reboot to do something in Windows, or it goes down with a KDL. Not comparing numbers or anything, just saying that it's not necessarily as fragile as all the "this is an alpha" warnings would like to caution you. Of course, you should still be careful and make lots of backups. But it is nonetheless quite usable today.